Black Representation In Film

Janae_J
Contributor II

The film industry has quickly grown to be one of the most successful, generating millions. Lately many black members of the industry have been asking for what they deserve as they, and many members of the black community at large often feel like they are cheated out of awards, roles and payment. 

Apart from struggling with appreciation, representation is also a huge issue, with many projects having the "token black friend" as the only black representation, and another issue arises when most of the black representation in these shows are lightskinned. 

Many black film enthusiasts have been asking film creators to stop casting black actors and actresses to only showcase struggle. We've had enough struggle shows and movies, people have seen the hood, poverty, and violence enough. We deserve to be cast as princesses and superheroes, as well as have the diversity of our community displayed. 

So many people from our community fell in love with Black Panther, watching it over and over, because we were rich, powerful and represented. We want to be showcased as magical, as something separate from poor, self hating and "ghetto". 

What is your dream black fantasy film, and who would you cast in it? 

1 REPLY 1

NathanW
Visionary I

Black representation in film really has an impact on how people view black people in the world. There are so many non black people who's only exposure to Black people is through tv and film. As someone who is biracial, it has been hard to find representation of people who look like me and have experienced what I have. My mom told me to watch mixedish when it came out (not my vibe) but I would love to see some more biracial representation in marvel and in kids shows so that other kids who grew up like I did have someone to look up to