Book Recs!

carlyfaulkner1
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

I love reading so if anyone has any book recommendations please list them in the replies! Also let me know what your favorite book genre is 🙂

12 REPLIES 12

Jessica
Révolutionnaire Team

I just finished Surviving the White Gaze by Rebecca Carroll and highly recommend it. I absolutely love memoirs so if anyone knows of any good ones, let me know!  

Not a memoir, but I love The Autobiography of Malcolm X. It's one of those books that's worth reading at multiple points in your life and making detailed annotations every time. 

NathanW
Visionary I

@carlyfaulkner1 @Jessica  Some of my favorites are the Autobiography of Malcom X and  Dreams From My Father by Obama!

+1 for Autobiography of Malcom X!

Nia
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Great question @carlyfaulkner1 ! The Alchemist, Miracle equation by Mal Elrod, Eloquent Rage by Brittney Cooper, and Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon are must reads! 🤎

Justice
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big fan of Becoming by Michelle Obama, The Alchemist as well (cc: @Nia), I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, and Meditations by Aurelius. Meditations has to be one of my all-time favourites - specifically the Martin Hammond translation.

Chavezs
Contributor III

I just started reading White Feminism: From the Suffragettes to Influencers and Who They Leave Behind

It's a fascinating view of how feminism was founded to raise middle-class, white, cis-straight women and to exclude womxn that don't fall into that definition. It traces the history of feminism starting with the suffragettes to Beyonce's Flawless using the word feminism at a time when the word was negative all the way to the harms of influencer capitalism. 

Yes my mom got me it!! It is so good trying to get some more of my friends to read it too

Chavezs
Contributor III

Same! It's so helpful to put things into perspective and give advice on how to solve the structural issues. I just bought it for my entrepreneur friend to help with her business development. 

Stella
Visionary I

I'm a actually a big Harry Potter nerd! Have you read the series @carlyfaulkner1 

carlyfaulkner1
Révolutionnaire Team

I love the movies but I never got around to reading the books lol. But I do know a lot about the differences between the books and the movies!

maya_simmons
Révolutionnaire Team

One of my most recent faves is Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. I'm planning to read The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates next!