Do you prefer virtual education/work experiences?

Nia
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

As someone who did online schooling throughout high school, the shift from in person to online classes as a result of the pandemic was a comfortable transition for me. In my academic classes, I felt that I was able to be more efficient and get more work done because online schooling allowed me to be more independent. On the other hand, it was difficult for me as a university dance major to have to take my dance classes from my living room and having to adjust to not being in the studio every day as well as being away from my friends and not being able to engage in traditional university experiences.

What has been your experience with virtual education or working virtually? Is it something that you would continue post-pandemic if given the option, or are you excited to go back into a traditional work/school environment? 

9 REPLIES 9

allysmith
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

I can honestly say that the virtual experience has been one of advantage and disadvantage. I think as people we want to foster community personally so we can form intimacy amongst each other. The advantages are obviously not having to worry about transportation and things of that nature, but it’s still definitely lacking that personally feel in my opinion. However, everyday brings its joys! 

blaizeexeter
Junior Editor Junior Editor
Junior Editor

My high school is usually non-semestered so the switch from that to quads wasn't the smoothest for me especially moving online as well. Personally, I don't think I can do school in the same place I sleep and do other fun activities so learning from my room has been difficult. Also, I think one of the best parts of being in a classroom is making new friends which is almost impossible to do online because there aren't many opportunities to talk with other students. 

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team

I agree @blaizeexeter - it is really difficult to separate school from day to day life when I'm doing all of my work from my room! It must be really challenging to have to switch Quadmesters. Have there been any benefits of it? I would imagine you probably have fewer classes per week right?  I also miss my friends and don't really know most people in my class because we've been online the whole year - our class group chat is helpful for homework questions but not much else 

I totally agree @blaizeexeter

carlyfaulkner1
Révolutionnaire Team

To me, virtual education has been extremely difficult 😞  it's hard for me to stay motivated when I am working on my own so a more communal setting where I can learn in person with my peers has always been a preference of mine. I am a "hands on" learner so I like in-person education a lot better but over the past year, I have learned to adjust to virtual learning so while it has its ups and downs I think it has helped me to be more independent. 

irenekoo
Révolutionnaire Team

Starting full-time remotely has been an experience! I'm based in a satellite office, so in a way, remote work has been an "equalizer" across satellite and HQ offices, but trying to build relationships with co-workers have been tough! 

Jaden
Révolutionnaire Team

I would definitely have to agree with you about the transition from in person to online. For me, online learning allowed me to be more flexible with my days and all my obligations. But it wasn’t very ideal for my science classes because online learning really isn’t enough when it comes to hands on nursing material. I’d definitely go forward doing online classes for some of my classes but I’d prefer in person for my more intense courses. 

Justice
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I love the flexibility of virtual / remote work, but cannot wait to get back into the travelling groove as soon as it's safe to do so. I think the new standard of remote work made meeting new people and reaching out unexpectedly easy and I hope that's something that we don't lose as recovery continues. However, with the Révolutionnaire team located all over North America, I'm excited to get the opportunity to catch up with everyone IRL ASAP! 

john24
Contributor III

It is actually far easier for me to work online. I previously had to travel quite often for work and did not have the opportunity to spend as much time with my family. The downside of being at home 24/7 is that homeschooling my kids who are doing school online while working full time is not easy. We've become used to it over the past year but at the beginning of the pandemic it was not easy.