Equitable Finance & The Climate Crisis

Chavezs
Contributor III

Has anyone read "Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist" by Kate Raworth?

If not, I highly recommend it! It's a new way of looking at economics, the economy, and our financial institutions in our modern times. It essentially says that we have to reshape our entire economy if we have any hope of living on a sustainable planet. By reframing our economic goals to focus on human progress rather than constant GDP growth, we can make sure we can maintain the earth's resources and provide more equitable finance across nations and people. 

Given the UN's IPCC climate report this morning, rebuilding our financial systems and incentives is more important than ever.

What are your ideas on building a better economy that is equitable and sustainable?  

3 REPLIES 3

Justice
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is a great share, thank you @Chavezs! I've done a lot of reading about the circular economy, but haven't yet dug into the concept of Doughnut Economics. 

The question of an equitable and sustainable economy is a pretty interesting one especially from the Canadian perspective. For example, as we move towards a future that is net zero and free of fossil fuels, how can we support those whose families relied on coal and ensure that they are supported in the transition both financially and through access to meaningful upskilling and bridge programs? 

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

I've been thinking a lot about the circular economy too @Justice -- I recently made a post about Fast Fashion  in the lounge after reading @emilie's 101 Guide and this video "From fast fashion to circular economy" seems to bring it all together. Wdyt? 

Stella
Visionary I

I haven't read doughnut economics but will defiantly check it out. The report scared me tbh, we are running out of time to help our beautiful planet that has been repeatedly destroyed. I'm not surprised that economic goals would have to be reframed because I think the majority of how we function, especially in North America needs to be flipped upside down to really help the planet and ensure that we have a chance for generations to come to live in an inhabitable environment! From the food chain, to fashion, to consumerism and capitalism, it is all contributing and al needs to be changed and that is of course linked to the economy and part of GDP growth. Thanks for this post, I'm gonna check out the book tonight!