Fast Fashion

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

I was reading this article by @emilie  on Fast Fashion and was wondering what tips you have to avoid contributing to fast fashion. I stopped shopping at stores like Zara and H&M years ago knowing that I could never support any company that uses child labor and unsustainable practices and are major contributors to fast fashion. Brands like Shein, Fashion Nova, and Zara are also really bad for the environment because the poor quality of the clothing leads people to have to buy more overtime leading to more waste. I started focusing more on thrifting when I need new clothes. I only really buy stuff when I absolutely NEED it and don't have anything else to wear but wanted to know what your thoughts are and if there are any sustainable stores that you like to shop with

3 REPLIES 3

Stella
Visionary I

Brands like Fashion Nova, Zara etc should be illegal! I am really into fashion and have had to reconcile my love for clothing with my environmentalist heart. I've found that buying clothes that are of better quality actually makes them more sustainable because you can re-wear them for years and not have to keep buying over and over again and leading to waste. It costs more but is worth it to help the earth. That's also my recommendation for anyone who likes fashion but wants to be more mindful/conscious on their environmental impact. Did you see Greta Thunberg's vogue interview? she basically said that the brands that call themselves sustainable and talk about being vegan etc. is all just greenwashing. The only way to really limit your negative impact when it comes to fashion is purchasing high quality items that will last for a long time.

NathanW
Visionary I

Agree with you @Stella . The other thing is to buy items created locally. The stuff that is made in China causes a bigger carbon footprint because it all has to be shipped/flown in. Buy locally made products and you're already a step ahead. And greenwash is real, brands do it all the time and its a disgusting way of profiting off of people's fear of the world ending 

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

Yes! Buying local is so good! Also if you learn how to make your own clothes you can upcycle old pieces and create new ones to keep your outfits fresh and new