HBCU Students: Why did you decide to attend an HBCU?

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

Hi everyone! I'm a grade 11 high school student currently deciding which schools I should apply to. My aunt attended an HBCU and said that she loved her experience of being surrounded by other Black students. My parents are concerned that HBCUs do not have the same resources as PWIs and that this will affect my education. For students who have attended or are attending an HBCU what motivated your decision and what is your advice to prospective students? 

10 REPLIES 10

NaheimBa
Révolutionnaire Team

I decided to attend an HBCU in order to be around other ambitious Black people from all across the diaspora that are steadfast in their commitment to help their Black homes, Black schools, and Black communities. It has honestly been the best decision I have ever made and has provided me with the confidence and skills to do anything.

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team

That's awesome @NaheimBa ! Did you attend a PWI for high school? If so, how did your experiences differ between the PWI and HBCU?

I currently attend a PWI and hope to go to an HBCU one day!

carlyfaulkner1
Révolutionnaire Team

Funny story: I applied to Howard two days after the deadline! I was originally supposed to go to a PWI but I woke up one morning with a sudden epiphany to go to an HBCU. I applied to Howard that same day and prayed that I would be accepted and luckily I was! I grew up in a very diverse town so visiting the PWI that I was intended to go to made me realize that most universities are not so diverse. So I guess what motivated me was the sudden urge to go to a school that reminded me most of home. 

Stella
Visionary I

I hope to attend an HBCU one day too! Thanks for posting this!

maya_simmons
Révolutionnaire Team

I chose to go to an HBCU because I'd attended PWIs from elementary to high school. I wanted to learn in an environment where Black history and culture weren't treated like an afterthought, or worse, ignored completely. Also, unlike my previous schools, I don't have to worry about microaggressions or feeling ostracized at Howard. One major piece of advice I'd give to prospective HBCU students is to be diligent in keeping their own records, whether it be degree requirements or financial aid information because dealing with administration and the offices can be a struggle. Overall, the experience is absolutely worth it. I would recommend it to any Black high school student. 

My thoughts exactly @maya_simmons !! It was absolutely the best decision of my life to go to an HBCU, especially after being in PWIs for the majority of my life but working with  admin can get tough. Regardless, I would never trade my HBCU experience for anything, attending an HBCU is so special. 🤎

Havillyn
Révolutionnaire Team

Going to an HBCU has helped me grow in a plethora of ways and I am so happy that I ended up at Howard. I definitely recommend going to an HBCU. Honestly, I was not planning on attending an HBCU but it's the best decision that I've made.

brandonb
Révolutionnaire Team

I decided to go to an HBCU because HBCUs have always been apart of my family's legacy/history. My step mom went to Grambling State University, where I have visited a few times; My mother went to Norfolk State University; A handful of my family members in Mississippi went to Jackson State University. I wanted to help carry that. I also wanted to go to a school where I didn't feel hindered to be myself, unapologetically. While it's hard enough being queer in college where there still aren't many spaces for us to feel safe, I didn't want to confine my blackness as well. The election of Trump had just passed too so there were many things that factored into my decision.

corinnedorsey
Editor-in-Chief Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

I attended a historically black elementary school and shifted from that to a PWI throughout my middle and high school years. After making this shift, I knew that I wanted to be in a similar institution to the elementary school that exposed me to the great successes within the black community and empowered me about our rich history and culture. In addition to this, I grew up with the vast majority of my family attending HBCU's such as TSU, Prairie View, and Spelman, all of which I visited over the years and fell in love with. After having those experiences, I knew HBCU's were the perfect fit for me, and I've cherished my time at my HBCU, Howard, more than ever!