How to Solve the Existential Threat of the Modern GOP?

Chavezs
Contributor III

I think everyone on here recognizes the threat that the Modern GOP. With voting rights alone, they are trying to overthrow our democracy by bending the rules to favor a white supremacist minority. But in general, they are standing in the way of enacting popular policies that will fix so much of what's wrong with this country (economic inequality, gun violence, climate crisis, mass incarceration, etc.)

This month, I wrote a 3 part series on the Modern GOP, their harms, and how we can overcome the threat.   

Part I: The GOPs Disconnect with Reality & Its Harms

Part II: The Big Lie and Its Persistent Threat

Part III: The Surest Way to Bipartisanship: A New GOP

I'm curious, what are your ideas on how we can overcome the authoritarian bent of the GOP? 

3 REPLIES 3

Stella
Visionary I

I think GOP is really rooted in systemic racism and while we all breathed a sigh of relief when Trump left office, their core values didnt change after he left. If anything the GOP has gotten worse as time goes on. I'm not sure what can be done but hopefully as more Americans go through the unlearning and re-learning process they will be able to make more wise voting decisions and recognize the harm of the GOP

Chavezs
Contributor III

I agree, @Stella,. My fear is that the average American hasn't done enough of the unlearning work, but I think that's where we come in to have those conversations with our friends and family to make people more aware of the dangers of the GOP. 

I agree as well, this has gotten so out of hand it feels like since Trump was elected the US has moved backwards and become even more divided. People need to meet and interact with different people from a variety of backgrounds to be able to identify with them and recognize that others are affected by these issues that they just ignore when they blindly vote and support the GOP