So, You Want To Talk About "So, You Want to Talk About"?

Stella
Visionary I

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the recent drama surrounding the "So, You Want to Talk About" instagram account. Basically, for those who don't know, a White woman started the account and has had a disclaimer in her bio for about a year that says "not associated with so, you want to talk about race or the author". I had never heard about so you want to talk about race but always assumed it was another instagram account. Turns out, it actually wasn't an instagram account, it is a book written by a Black woman who went after  the SYWTTA founder saying that she was capitalizing off of the name and book that the Black woman had written and that she was memefying history and activism. What do you think about this? I personally love infographics and thats how I stay up to date with a lot and even how I found Révolutionnaire so I don't see ti as memefication but would like to hear your views.

Updated: SYWTTA added a disclaimer in their bio saying that it is owned by a White woman who is liberal and that they are changing the name. Does this change anything for you?

2 REPLIES 2

NathanW
Visionary I

She changed the account name to "So.informed" but its just wild that all of this brouhaha even went on. People aren't focusing on the issues at hand if they are concentrating on this drama. I honestly think SYWTTA didn't mean to harm the author at all which is why the disclaimer was in the bio. Sometimes the Instagram activism community just gatekeeps and criticizes so much, im starting to hate instagram for that reason. People are so quick to cancel others for no reason. When there's a reason, I think cancellation is warranted but when its something as trivial as an IG handle it makes no sense. Also, why is no one recognizing the fact that the term "so, you want to talk about _______" has been around long before this lady wrote her book and the other one made an instagram? People on Instagram  are just too sensitive and trying to start drama.

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

I have to agree with Nathan on this one. Even as someone who is Black I feel like the Black woman was overstepping and the SYWTTA founder was pushed against a wall and had to change it.  At the end of the day she is doing her best to educate people and still getting criticized would the author rather she just sit around and do nothing and be a performative ally? It's all too much and too confusing and takes away from the important things going on in the world