The 13th Amendment

carlyfaulkner1
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

What are your thoughts on the 13th Amendment in regards to the prison-industrial complex? Do you believe that the 13th Amendment truly abolished slavery? 

For more information on the amendment, check out Ava DuVernay's 13th via this link: Here  

If you want to read more about the 13th amendment and criminal justice reform, check out this article: Here 

3 REPLIES 3

Stella
Visionary I

Thank you for posting this - It's actually very timely because I just watched 13th a few days ago and was thinking about this. I don't think that it really abolished slavery because it just allowed people to abuse incarcerated populations and force people in prisons into free labor which is basically modern day slavery. 

john24
Contributor III

hmmm... This is interesting. My understanding of the 13th amendment is that it made slavery illegal. Is that not correct? 

carlyfaulkner1
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

While the amendment did abolish one form of slavery, it created a "loop hole" for another form of slavery that involves prison labor. If you want to hear more check out the Ava DuVernay's documentary and let me know what you think of it!