What are some of the challenges you face as a changemaker?

Stella
Visionary I

Hi! I'm curious to know about some challenges that you've faced as a changemaker. 

Maybe you are new to changemaking and had trouble knowing where to start or you're a seasoned activist who has had to deal with tough conversations, adversity, and burnout. Comment the challenges you've faced and any advice you may have for others below!

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been in groups where there have been an issue where someone in a leadership role abused their power or harmed another member of the group. I wish there was some sort of "blueprint" for dealing with this and navigating what  accountability looks like, especially in a social justice space. I think it's dangerous to assume any group with an organizational hierarchy is immune to these things.

KamilleJ
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

Hi @Stella I think as changemakers we are generally more aware and we often have to think about how personal values have to align with job opportunities and the potential negative impact of a job not aligning with our beliefs. When I encounter situations when peoples politics or outlook doesn’t align with mine it can be difficult to seperate how I view people personally from what their political beliefs are which has actually affected many of my personal relationships over the past year especially. 

maya_simmons
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

One of the biggest challenges I face as a changemaker is combatting pessimism. It's easy, especially in a year like 2020, in which there seemed to be more bad news than good, to start thinking that change is impossible. I have to remind myself of the words of some of my favorite activists, like Angela Davis and Robin D.G. Kelley, who believe that the ability to imagine a better, more equitable future is a crucial step to achieving one. 

I agree with you, Maya. My biggest challenge is fighting internal and external pessimism. I'm a positive person, but I have to constantly remind myself that change is slow, we have to chip away at institutional norms, and we can't create change overnight. But I'm in the fight and that's what's important.