Iconic Influencer: Deb Haaland

nainikakumar
Contributor II

Deb-Haaland.jpg

Photo via Bill Moyers 

In honor of Indigenous People’s day, superego has chosen Deb Haaland for this week’s iconic influencer. Secretary Haaland is the first Native American to serve in a Cabinet position as the U.S. Secretary of Interior. Haaland is a citizen of the Pueblo of Laguna and a 35th generation New Mexican. Haaland was elected to the U.S. Congress in 2018, making her one of the first Native American women in Congress. Not long after the Biden-Harris administration was elected, a coalition of Indigenous environmental rights organizations urged the new administration to appoint Deb Haaland as the Interior Secretary, which tasks her with managing federal relationships with Native communities across the U.S.

Since being appointed, Secretary Haaland has been a vocal advocate for progressive environmental justice initiatives, including the Green New Deal. At superego, we’re inspired by her bold leadership and inclusive narratives about the impacts of climate change on Native communities.

We want to hear from you: What do you think the top policy priorities are for Indigenous communities worldwide? How can young leaders advocate for social and environmental justice for Native communities?

1 REPLY 1

NathanW
Visionary I

Great post, I hadn't heard of Deb Haaland before but its great to learn about new people! I've started using this site to engage in more social and environmental justice campaigns for indigenous communities. There's some action items/ posts on this under environmentalism and some under racial equity. I encourage you to check it out 🖤