Iconic Influencer: Greta Thunberg

nainikakumar
Contributor II

greta-thunberg-fridays-future-protest.jpg                                                                                               Photo via TIME

As the COP26 conference continues this week in Glasgow, superego is inspired by all the powerful youth activists advocating for climate justice solutions to our world leaders. Among many young activists, one young woman finds herself at the front of every climate change protest; she has become an icon for young climate leaders worldwide: Greta Thunberg. 

Greta Thunberg has been active in the youth movement for climate change solutions across the globe for years. From leading a school strike for climate justice in 2018, urging the U.S. Congress to enact science-based climate policies, Greta has inspired so many young people to demand a cleaner, brighter future.

Now, Greta is advocating with thousands of climate activists in Glasgow, where world leaders are meeting to develop global efforts to reduce global temperature rising. As leaders from all over the world have been meeting, Greta has been quoted saying the COP26 conference is a “two-week-long celebration of business as usual and blah, blah, blah.

As the generation that will inherit a polluted planet, Greta Thunberg’s activism inspires us at superego media to amplify young climate leaders worldwide.

What are your reactions to the COP26 conference? Who are some of your favorite climate activists? Let us know in the comments below!

2 REPLIES 2

Lperez
Révolutionnaire Team Révolutionnaire Team
Révolutionnaire Team

Great insight! Upon researching the COP26 conference, I found it very much enlightening on the fact that corporations are unfortunately still not entirely listening and in fact going against the whole purpose of the summit. However, I'm very thankful that there was an agreement around 200 nations which is huge step into hope! But I do hope that many of these organizations and nations turn their promises into reality!

Great article,

-Leslie

NathanW
Visionary I

This was such a cool feature! I really love Greta's unapologetic approach to activism and calling it like she sees it. In addition to her "blah, blah, blah" statement, Greta called out COP26 as a PR event - which honestly sounds about right. 

In addition to Greta, I really like Patience Nabukalu - a 24-year-old activist from Uganda. As she says, she "believes in people power. Ant the power is in us, not the leaders."