Iconic Influencers: Audre Lorde

robertgracin
Contributor III

A Lorde.png

superego is paying tribute to Audre Lorde, our chosen “iconic influencer” this week. Audre Lorde was a self-described “Black, lesbian, mother, warrior, poet,” dedicating her life and work to confronting injustices of racism, sexism, capitalism, and homophobia. In her influential essay “The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House,” Lorde shares a quote that's also par
tially cited in Beyoncé’s
Homecoming film:

“Without community, there is no liberation...but community must not mean a shedding of our differences, nor the pathetic pretense that these differences do not exist.”

At superego, our community is the foundation of our youth-driven media movement. This publication recognizes the power of community initiatives and organizing. In building our network of writers, readers, and leaders, we invite everyone to come as they are and share a story that only they can tell. If you have a unique story about social change to share, send our Editor a pitch to editor@superegomedia.org!

How does Audre Lorde’s quote resonate with you? Has it challenged your idea of community in any way? We welcome everyone to join the conversation below!

To read Lorde’s full essay, click on the link here: 

https://collectiveliberation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Lorde_The_Masters_Tools.pdf

4 REPLIES 4

NathanW
Visionary I

🙌MS. LORDE. Great feature, thanks! 

Stella
Visionary I

This quote is everything. We live in such a polarized time and far too often people assume that there are monoliths on the left and the right. When in reality, both sides and the middle are extremely complex. When it comes to organizing around a common cause, I think it's really important to dig into those nuances and recognize that even within community, we have different approaches and ideas about what is right and wrong and what is most expeditious. Too often the loudest voices shout opinions on behalf of the entire community without representing them. Let's make more room for the community voices in the back!  

Justice
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This whole essay is an absolute work of art and honestly should be mandatory reading. This quote definitely resonates and is why we are really excited to be building a community with meaningful discourse and the space to explore and understand differences.

In addition to your selected quote, I appreciated this other one towards the end of Lorde's paper, "In a world of possibility for us all, our personal visions help lay the groundwork for political action... In our world, divide and conquer must become define and empower." 

I love what empowerment represents in this context. Let's build a broader foundation for us all to stand on as opposed to elevating ourselves to tower over others. Call me optimistic and bright-eyed, but empowerment and agency are beautiful things and when pursued as a community, they can be powerful forces for good. Thanks for sharing, Robert. Looking forward to next week's feature!

Janae_J
Contributor II

Thank you educating about Ms. Lorde 🙌🙌