Sharing your hair stories with others

TCGM
Contributor II

Ever wished you could be open and vulnerable about your hair journey and people would understand where you're coming from and be supportive—ever wanted to learn more about natural curly hair from a hair expert? Two Caribbean sisters built the Ultimate Curly Hair Experience for this purpose. Join us on Sunday, August 20th at 155 Commerce Valley Drive East, Markham. There will be a panel discussion with content creators and hair industry experts to drive the conversation around products, hair styling, self-confidence, a fireside chat with Jully Black, swag bags filled with some of your favorite curly hair brands, and more! Check it out here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tcgm-presents-the-ultimate-curly-hair-experience-tickets-618628663987?af...

4 REPLIES 4

Shamona
Visionary I

I certainly wish accessible resources as these were available when I was younger—I hope this link reaches as many young women and hairstylists as possible.

Maintaining healthy natural curly hair is a process which requires your time, patience and maybe half your salary. 

Also I hope there’ll be a segment on products by black-owned companies.

TCGM
Contributor II

Thank you for your kind words Shamona! Yes, haircare requires time, patience, and financial and educational resources so working together to reduce these gaps is the goal! We will be having black-owned salons, stylists, and brands in the building and we couldn't be more excited.

Aly18
Contributor III

Having mixed hair can be an uphill climb especially when you don't know how to manage it. A lot of time we fall into the trend of chemicalizing our natural hair to make it more manageable. I am all for it especially when managing one's natural hair can be such a pain. For me when my natural hair get to a certain length, the thickness and manageability become harder, not only that but each time I have my wash day, I am sure to get sick. So after many years of regrowing my natural hair after having chemicals in it since I was a teen, I place chemicals in it again which resulted in me cutting my hair off after six months of having it relax. 

It is amazing to see many young women are encouraged and having pride in their natural hair. It's more impressive to see many young black women understanding their natural hair and making suggestions on the way to best take care of such hair. Above all, I am super proud of my Caribbean woman who is developing a natural hair regime. In my country of SVG, we have my crown of curls, a natural hair product for all natural hair lovers and its a wonder. So keep up and keep promoting the beauty of black hair because it is beautiful. 

TCGM
Contributor II

Thank you for your honesty and vulnerability @AlyH ! We hope we can all share our stories just like you and build a safe space for all women to continue to love and embrace their natural curls and coils. We appreciate your kind words and will continue to do the work necessary to make this a reality.