Reflecting on the violent attack against a Muslim family in London, Ontario

Justice
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My heart is extra heavy today thinking about the Muslim family who was killed in a violent hate crime Sunday night in London, Ontario. While out on an evening stroll, the family of five was run over by an attacker who intended to kill them for being Muslim. The sole-survivor of the attack was a 9-year-old boy. 

While Canada is often celebrated as being an idyllic country that embraces the diversity of all, so many of us know that this mirage is far from reality. Hate continues to persist and incidents such as this one are a sober reminder of the work that remains to dismantle systemic racism and oppression in all forms. 

If you are able to, please consider supporting the family of the 9-year-old boy who survived the attack here and a newly established fund for victims of anti-Muslim hate, here

If you or someone you know is in need of support, please contact the Naseeha Mental Health Hotline: 1-866-627-3342

As I grapple with this question myself, what are your thoughts on the road ahead in Canada towards a more inclusive, equitable and just society? 

1 REPLY 1

john24
Contributor III

Very sad to hear this. Had no idea hate crimes were so prevalent in Canada.